The World Resources Institute (WRI) is an international research organization that works to improve people’s lives by providing rigorous research and practical solutions that connect the world’s resources, environment, and development. WRI’s work spans the globe, from forests to water to climate.
IUCN, the International Union for Conservation of Nature, is a membership union of governments and non-governmental organizations that provides leadership and encourages partnerships in the conservation of nature. IUCN’s work focuses on four broad areas:
- Species survival: IUCN assesses the conservation status of species and develops strategies for their protection.
- Protected areas: IUCN helps to establish and manage protected areas around the world.
- Sustainable use of natural resources: IUCN promotes the sustainable use of natural resources, such as forests and fisheries.
- Climate change: IUCN works to address the impacts of climate change on nature and people.
WRI and IUCN are both committed to the conservation of nature and the sustainable use of natural resources. They work together on a variety of projects, including:
- The Global Forest Watch: WRI and IUCN collaborate on the Global Forest Watch, a platform that provides data and analysis on forest cover and deforestation.
- The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species: WRI supports IUCN’s work on the Red List, which is the world’s most comprehensive inventory of the conservation status of species.
- The Sustainable Landscapes Program: WRI and IUCN collaborate on the Sustainable Landscapes Program, which works to promote the sustainable management of landscapes around the world.
WRI and IUCN are important partners in the global effort to conserve nature. By working together, they can achieve more than either organization could do on its own.
Here are some additional details about the relationship between WRI and IUCN:
- WRI is a member of IUCN.
- WRI staff serve on IUCN’s governing bodies and committees.
- WRI and IUCN collaborate on research projects, publications, and events.
- WRI provides financial support to IUCN.
WRI and IUCN share a common vision for a world where people and nature thrive. By working together, they can make a real difference in the fight to conserve nature.