The InterEnvironment Institute (IEI) is an independent, nonprofit, nonpartisan public policy institute that focuses on natural resources and the environment, both internationally and in the United States, particularly in California. IEI was founded in 1969 as the California Institute of Public Affairs (CIPA), and changed its name to IEI in 2010.
IEI has been a member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) since 1980. IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest environmental organization, with a membership of over 1,400 government and non-governmental organizations. IEI works closely with IUCN on a variety of projects, including:
- The World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA): IEI provides the secretariat for the WCPA’s Urbanization Specialist Group, which is working to promote the conservation of biodiversity in urban areas.
- The Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy (CEESP): IEI is a member of CEESP’s Working Group on Finance and Investment, which is developing tools and resources to help governments and businesses invest in sustainable development.
- The Commission on Education and Communication (CEC): IEI is a member of CEC’s Working Group on Education for Sustainability, which is developing a global framework for education for sustainability.
In addition to its work with IUCN, IEI also works with a variety of other organizations, including governments, businesses, and non-governmental organizations. IEI’s goal is to help create a more sustainable world by providing research, advice, and training on natural resources and the environment.
Here are some additional details about IEI’s relationship with IUCN:
- IEI is a “Category II” member of IUCN, which means that it has a close working relationship with IUCN and is able to participate in the development of IUCN’s policies and programs.
- IEI has provided the secretariat for several IUCN commissions and working groups, including the WCPA’s Urbanization Specialist Group and CEESP’s Working Group on Finance and Investment.
- IEI’s staff and researchers have served on IUCN’s governing bodies and committees.
- IEI has published several reports and books on topics related to IUCN’s work, such as “Sustainable Finance: A Guide for Policymakers” and “The Urban Imperative: A Global Challenge for Protected Areas.”
Overall, IEI is a leading organization in the field of environmental policy and research. Its work with IUCN helps to ensure that IEI’s work is aligned with the global environmental agenda and that its findings are shared with a wide audience.