The Northwestern Institute for Sustainability and Energy (ISEN) is a multidisciplinary institute at Northwestern University that advances global sustainability and energy solutions through transformational research, interdisciplinary education, and public engagement. ISEN’s work spans a wide range of disciplines, including engineering, science, business, law, and the humanities.
ISEN is a member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), a global organization that unites government, civil society, and private sector organizations in a common mission to conserve nature and ensure sustainable development for all. IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest environmental organization, with over 1,400 member organizations in 170 countries.
ISEN’s relationship with IUCN is based on a shared commitment to sustainability and energy. ISEN and IUCN collaborate on a variety of projects, including:
- The Global Infrastructure and Nature Coalition, which is working to develop sustainable infrastructure that minimizes the impact on nature.
- The IUCN Academy of Sustainable Development, which is a global network of universities that are committed to sustainability education.
- The IUCN World Commission on Environmental Law, which is developing legal frameworks for sustainability.
ISEN and IUCN are working together to address some of the world’s most pressing environmental challenges, such as climate change, biodiversity loss, and pollution. By combining their expertise and resources, they are making a significant contribution to the global effort to achieve a sustainable future.
Here are some specific examples of ISEN’s work with IUCN:
- In 2016, ISEN and IUCN co-hosted a workshop on sustainable sand extraction, concrete production, and infrastructure development. The workshop brought together experts from around the world to discuss the environmental impacts of these activities and to develop strategies for reducing their impact.
- In 2017, ISEN and IUCN launched the Global Infrastructure and Nature Coalition. The Coalition is a partnership of organizations that are working to develop sustainable infrastructure that minimizes the impact on nature. ISEN is providing technical expertise to the Coalition, and its students are participating in research projects that are related to the Coalition’s work.
- In 2018, ISEN and IUCN co-hosted a conference on the future of sustainable development. The conference brought together leaders from government, business, and civil society to discuss the challenges and opportunities of achieving a sustainable future. ISEN students presented their research at the conference, and ISEN faculty members served as panelists.
ISEN and IUCN are committed to working together to address the world’s most pressing environmental challenges. By combining their expertise and resources, they are making a significant contribution to the global effort to achieve a sustainable future.