Lifescape International Inc – SPECIES is a Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to the conservation of carnivores. They believe that the ecological needs of carnivores are often among the best criteria for creating and connecting sustainable landscapes, and that conservation strategies developed around these needs can serve as effective tools for protecting ecological functioning, ecosystem integrity, and biological diversity.
SPECIES is a member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), a global organization that works to conserve the world’s biodiversity. IUCN is the world’s oldest and largest environmental organization, with a membership of over 1,300 government and non-governmental organizations.
SPECIES’ work is closely aligned with IUCN’s mission to conserve nature and ensure that it benefits all people. SPECIES is a leader in the field of carnivore conservation, and their work has helped to protect many species of carnivores around the world.
Here are some examples of SPECIES’ work:
- They have developed a number of conservation strategies for carnivores, including the “Carnivore Conservation Landscapes” approach, which identifies and protects key areas for carnivore conservation.
- They have worked to reduce human-carnivore conflict, by developing and implementing non-lethal methods of conflict mitigation.
- They have supported the creation of new protected areas for carnivores, and have helped to improve the management of existing protected areas.
- They have conducted research on carnivore ecology and behavior, which has helped to inform conservation strategies.
- They have raised awareness of the importance of carnivore conservation, and have worked to build support for carnivore conservation initiatives.
SPECIES is a valuable partner for IUCN in the fight to conserve the world’s carnivores. Their work is making a real difference on the ground, and they are helping to ensure that future generations can enjoy the benefits of a healthy and diverse planet.