The Marine Conservation Biology Institute (MCBI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting and restoring marine biodiversity. Founded in 1996, MCBI uses the latest science to identify important marine ecosystems around the world and then advocates for their protection. The organization works with scientists, politicians, government officials, and other organizations to identify key threats to areas in the sea and then build workable solutions.
MCBI is a member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), the world’s leading authority on the status of the natural world and the measures needed to safeguard it. MCBI is also a signatory to the IUCN World Conservation Strategy, which outlines a set of principles for sustainable development.
MCBI’s work is focused on three main areas:
- Marine protected areas: MCBI works to establish and expand marine protected areas (MPAs) around the world. MPAs are essential for protecting marine biodiversity and ensuring the long-term sustainability of ocean resources.
- Fisheries management: MCBI works to promote sustainable fisheries management practices. This includes advocating for the use of science-based catch limits and protected areas, as well as reducing bycatch and illegal fishing.
- Climate change: MCBI works to address the impacts of climate change on marine ecosystems. This includes supporting research on the effects of climate change on marine life, as well as advocating for policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
MCBI is a leading voice in the global movement to protect and restore marine biodiversity. The organization’s work is essential for ensuring the health of our oceans and the future of our planet.
Here are some specific examples of MCBI’s work:
- In 2005, MCBI published the book “Marine Conservation Biology: The Science of Maintaining the Sea’s Biodiversity,” which is considered a seminal work in the field of marine conservation biology.
- In 2010, MCBI helped to establish the Global Ocean Refuge System, a network of MPAs that are designed to protect marine biodiversity.
- In 2015, MCBI launched the Blue Boundaries campaign, which is working to protect 30% of the world’s oceans by 2030.
MCBI is a respected and influential organization that is making a real difference in the fight to protect our oceans. The organization’s work is essential for ensuring the health of our planet for future generations.