Revive & Restore is a nonprofit wildlife conservation organization bringing biotechnology to conservation. Biotechnology can be used to increase genetic diversity, build disease resistance, and facilitate adaptation. Headquartered in Sausalito, California, the organization’s mission is to enhance biodiversity through the genetic rescue of endangered and extinct species.
Revive & Restore has pioneered the “Genetic Rescue Toolkit” for wildlife conservation – a suite of biotechnology tools adapted from human medicine and commercial agriculture that can improve wildlife conservation outcomes. The toolkit includes technologies such as:
- Gene editing
- Assisted reproductive technologies
- Population genetics
- Ecological restoration
Revive & Restore is a member of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), the world’s leading conservation organization. IUCN is a global partnership of government agencies, non-governmental organizations, scientists, and other experts that work together to conserve nature and biodiversity. Revive & Restore’s membership in IUCN allows the organization to collaborate with other conservation groups around the world to use biotechnology to save endangered and extinct species.
Revive & Restore has a number of projects underway to use biotechnology to conserve endangered and extinct species. These projects include:
- Cloning the black-footed ferret, a critically endangered species that was thought to be extinct in the wild until 1981
- Using gene editing to make the American chestnut tree resistant to a fungus that wiped out the species in the early 20th century
- Using assisted reproductive technologies to help endangered Hawaiian monk seals reproduce
Revive & Restore is a leading organization in the field of conservation biotechnology. The organization’s work is helping to save endangered and extinct species and to restore biodiversity.
Here are some additional information about Revive & Restore:
- Founded in 2012
- Headquarters in Sausalito, California
- Mission: To enhance biodiversity through the genetic rescue of endangered and extinct species
- Membership in IUCN
- Projects underway to use biotechnology to conserve endangered and extinct species
- Leading organization in the field of conservation biotechnology