The George Wright Society (GWS) is a multidisciplinary, international professional association for those who work in or are concerned with parks and other types of protected areas. The GWS was founded in 1980 and is headquartered in Hancock, Michigan, USA.
The GWS’s mission is to connect science and management to support leaders on the frontlines of conservation for parks, protected areas and cultural sites. The GWS does this by:
- Organizing and sponsoring conferences, workshops, and other events that bring together scientists, managers, and other professionals working in the field of protected areas.
- Publishing The George Wright Forum, a quarterly journal that provides a forum for the discussion of timely issues related to protected areas.
- Offering educational programs and resources to help professionals develop the skills and knowledge they need to be effective leaders in the field of protected areas.
- Advocating for the protection of parks and other protected areas at the local, national, and international levels.
The IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) is a global union of government and non-governmental organizations dedicated to the conservation of nature. The IUCN was founded in 1948 and is headquartered in Gland, Switzerland.
The GWS and the IUCN have a long-standing partnership. The GWS is an IUCN member organization and the two organizations collaborate on a number of projects and initiatives, including:
- The World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA), which is the IUCN’s specialized body for protected areas. The GWS is a WCPA member and the two organizations work together to promote the establishment and effective management of protected areas around the world.
- The IUCN Academy of Protected Areas, which is a professional development program for protected area managers. The GWS is a partner organization of the IUCN Academy and the two organizations work together to deliver training and education programs to protected area managers.
- The IUCN World Parks Congress, which is the world’s largest gathering of protected area professionals. The GWS is a partner organization of the IUCN World Parks Congress and the two organizations work together to organize and host the Congress.
The GWS and the IUCN share a common goal of conserving nature and the GWS is proud to be a partner organization of the IUCN. The two organizations work together to promote the establishment and effective management of protected areas around the world, and they are committed to ensuring that parks and other protected areas play a vital role in conserving nature for future generations.